Alan D. Salewski via plug on 8 Jun 2024 12:10:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] root "pkill: killing pid * failed: Operation notpermitted"

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024, at 12:55, brent saner via plug wrote:
[...]
> As JP says in the OP, SELinux is disabled.
>
> JP, I'd first try what Steve suggested- a kill -9 or pkill -9 (SIGKILL
> instead of SIGTERM).
>
> If that doesn't work, ps auxf and grep for the process, and check the
> process state. It may be zombie'd (Z), which in some cases (notably, it
> spawned from PID 1) won't clear without rebooting the machine.

Check for 'D' ("uninterruptible sleep"), too[0].

I'm sure you've already done this, but if not also check for any
surprises with the process selection by pkill's 'pgrep' alter ego:

    $ pgrep -a falcon-sensor

and its (their) state(s):

    $ ps jp $(pgrep falcon-sensor | xargs)

-Al

[0] $ man 1 ps | grep -A 25 '^PROCESS STATE CODES'
    PROCESS STATE CODES
           Here are the different values that the s, stat and state output
           specifiers (header "STAT" or "S") will display to describe the state of
           a process:

                   D    uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)
                   I    Idle kernel thread
                   R    running or runnable (on run queue)
                   S    interruptible sleep (waiting for an event to complete)
                   T    stopped by job control signal
                   t    stopped by debugger during the tracing
                   W    paging (not valid since the 2.6.xx kernel)
                   X    dead (should never be seen)
                   Z    defunct ("zombie") process, terminated but not reaped by
                        its parent

           For BSD formats and when the stat keyword is used, additional
           characters may be displayed:

                   <    high-priority (not nice to other users)
                   N    low-priority (nice to other users)
                   L    has pages locked into memory (for real-time and custom IO)
                   s    is a session leader
                   l    is multi-threaded (using CLONE_THREAD, like NPTL pthreads
                        do)
                   +    is in the foreground process group

--
a l a n   d.   s a l e w s k i