Walt Mankowski via plug-announce via plug on 9 Jun 2024 08:02:26 -0700

[PLUG] [plug-announce] Tue Jun 11 - PLUG North - Walt Mankowski on "Perl One-Liners" (7 PM EDT)

PLUG North will be meeting on Tuesday, April 9, beginning at 7pm ET (2300 UTC). The meeting will be online. Details are at the bottom of the email.

This month we welcome back me, Walt Mankowski. I'll be talking about Perl One-Liners. I'll be giving this talk at the annual Perl and Raku conference later this month and want to practice it. Here's my abstract:

One-liners aren't just for gurus and obfuscated Perl contests. Anyone can learn a few simple command-line switches and instantly become more productive. You too can become a command-line ninja! Perl's got a reputation for producing unreadable, unmaintainable code. In some cases that's probably well-deserved, and TPC is filled with talks on modules and techniques that try to rein in some of that complexity. That's great, but sometimes people can forget that Perl's still a great language for throwing together quick and dirty little programs. And nothing is quicker or dirtier than the one-liner.

While I was pulling that up I discovered that the organizers put me into a 20 minute slot instead of 50 minutes. This is going to be fun…

I've given versions of this talk at PLUG in the past, but the last time seems to have been back in 2010 so chances are you're due for a refresher. And I don't think I've ever done a 20 minute version before!

We'll be using Jitsi Meet, a free and open source videoconferencing platform, for the meeting. The meeting will start at 7 PM.

You can access the meeting online at https://meet.jit.si/PLUGNorthJune2024.

Jitsi Meet also has apps for iOS and Android. If you decide to use one of those apps, use meeting code "PLUGNorthJune2024".