Michael C. Toren on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 02:37:00 -0400

Re: [tcptra-dev] Solaris Bug?

> 	I installed tcptraceroute 1.2 (2001-07-31) on a Solaris 2.8
> machine, but when I go to execute the command, I am not seeing any
> 'normal' ICMP responces within my traceroutes.  The final destination
> is working perfectly, just the hops inbetween are not.  Any help would
> be helpful.

Hi Charles,

There's a known Solaris problem where packets written to a raw socket have
their IP ID's rewritten, which means that the old method of tracking probes
tcptraceroute-1.2 sent out didn't work.  However, 1.3beta, (available at
<http://michael.toren.net/code/tcptraceroute/beta.html>), gets around this
problem by generating a new, unique source port for each probe sent, which
gives us something other than the IP ID to track.  Can you please try
downloading 1.3beta, and seeing if the problem still exists?

Thanks,

-mct