Michael C. Toren on Mon, 26 May 2003 21:13:07 -0400

Re: [tcptra-dev] tcptraceroute-1.5beta1

> I reiterated the model of LinkSys router/firewall as I had typoed
> it earlier.

Ah, okay.

> I'll try the alternatives you and Charles mentioned, but what do
> you think of my use of other IP addresses in my home-to-work ex-
> ercise?  At one point it stops working, so why couldn't an up-
> stream system be the issue and not my own router?

I think you'll find that the 192.205.32.238 hop is an anomaly due to the
way in which the AT&T and AOL networks are interconnected, and that if you
try to traceroute from home to the next hop on the list obtained by tracing
from work, you'll be able to reach it.  Also, keep in mind that asymmetric
routing is very common on the internet -- it's quite likely that the path
from work to home is different than the path from home to work.

-mct