Eric Windisch on Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:59:49 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Two video cards

	First of all, you need one of the cards to be made by Matrox. Setup
FBCON/FBDEV in your 2.2.x kernel (lower kernels do not have this), to
use Matrox acceleration and multihead (you should also setup drivers for
your other card).

	After you recompile/boot your new kernel the bios and X should appear
on your first video card on the pci bus. the bootup tux-logo and your
consoles should appear on your second card. The problem with this method
is that you still need to do alt-ctrl-f[1..12] from X and alt-f[1..12]
from the console to switch due to keyboard/mouse focusing. using
ctrl-alt-f[1.12] from console with this configuration will make the
console unreadable while keyboard focus is in X.

	If you want to do multiheaded X in this manner, I was able to setup a
640x480 Xggi server using FBDEV/FBCON.. however as it was unaccelerated
it was quite slow.. for multiheaded X with _MATROX_ cards, Metrox is
good ($40) other cards can be used by Accelerated X ($300?)

HOWEVER:
The best way to do it is with a dumb terminal because you can just use a
2nd keyboard for access.

besides, multiheading is slow.

--
Eric Windisch