gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 24 Dec 2001 01:29:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: How to set up SSH?

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:00:05PM +0000, jbeck@jbwd.net wrote:
> > SSH is not necessary at all.  FTP or Telnet would also completely serve
> > the purpose.  If they are simpler, can you explain how to enable them?  I
> > am just looking for the simplest way possible to get the files between the
> > windows box and the RH 7.1 box (without a floppy and running between
> > rooms!  :-)

Uncomment ftpd in /etc/inetd.conf and then kill -HUP `ps ax | grep
inetd | awk '{ print $1 }'` (or do whatever RH thinks you should do
to restart inetd) and you should be done.

Do make sure that you've got ftp firewalled properly, of course. (I
don't know what ftpd RH ships with, but the only one I trust is
lukemftpd--aka, NetBSD's ftpd, and RH's definitely not using that.
Not to disparage other ftpd implementations--though I'll be glad to
disparage proftpd and wuftpd all over the place if you'd like--I
just happen to know Luke Mewburn and I know what a lot of lukemftpd
looks like on the inside.)

> My fault.  Although I would like to learn how to configure FTP, I think that
> I need Telnet or SSH.  I forgot to mention that I need to be able to access
> MySQL for configuration (ie create tables, run queries, etc...)

Sure, but you should only use s{cp,ftp} if you actually need the
security. They're significantly slower.

I'd go ahead and use ssh for terminal stuff, since it does a good
job with X forwarding and terminal emulation and the slowdown isn't
really significant on low-bandwidth stuff like typing, but to
transfer files, go with something fast unless you've got no other
choice. (FTP is quite the speedy protocol, and I'm sure RH's ftpd
won't have significant *performance* problems...)

That said, telnet is just an "enable it in inetd" change away, so if
you haven't got other reasons to learn how to set up sshd, it may be
more trouble than it's worth.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net