Art Alexion on Sun, 5 May 2002 22:27:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL saga webpage

Art Clemons wrote:

I tend to agree with Doug on this though, even text can be misconstrued in some circumstances. PDFs offer a common easy to reproduce view that most Linux users already have at least one way to view, or can easily find and compile or download one.

Sometimes format=context, and content without context is begging to be misconstrued.

A pdf of a letter likely includes letterhead. Letterhead shouldn't look like it's part of the letter as it often does in simple html 3.2. (And do you really prefer nested tables and proprietary dhtml tags over a clean pdf?)

My rule of thumb: If the original was designed for paper, then pdf is the electronic medium of choice. If the original is primarily digitally published, clean html, or plain text, may be the best.

Additionally, if my primary purpose is to electronically share some info with the masses, then I'm going with the most broad based, accessable format. However, if sharing something I wrote for another purpose is incidental, then pdf is easier for me.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC
mailto:arthur@alexion.com
http://www.alexion.com