Michael C. Toren on Mon, 6 May 2002 00:00:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] keysignings / inactive keys

> The problem with this is that it doesn't show the user's other uids,
> which really should be verified and signed separately. (Shouldn't
> they?)

When I did it for the last Netaxs meeting, I did it by hand, and was
careful not to snip UID's where the real-name field was different than
the primary UID.

> Maybe that doesn't matter for the meeting, but it does for those
> following your new email-and-exchange-a-passphrase method. (That is,
> you need one passphrase per email address, not per person.)

I've been thinking about this recently, but so far I'm unconvinced
the email-and-exchange-a-passphrase is necessary.  My point of view is
that what I'm saying when I sign a key is that the person's real name
matches the photo ID they presented.  The email address I see as a bit
of information that the individual made public and signed (through the
key's self-signature), which does nothing other than indicate that the
address listed in one where encrypted messages using the key in
question can be sent.

Convince me I'm wrong?

-mct