Mike Bellerue on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:30:08 -0500

[PLUG] Re: split & cat

Now I wanna get involved! Me me me!
In anything with the NT kernel, (God bless ye David Cutler!) the commandline is closer to Linux/Unix commandline than anything with the 9x kernel. (Damn ye Texas!) However the long file names thingey is still lacking a wee bit. Files with multiple dots, or trying to edit files with spaces in them, try putting quotes around the file name.
C:\>edit "Woah this file name is really really really really really really really long!.I.am.bor.ed"
And if you do have to deal with really long file names like that, it's generally best to run cmd.exe /f:on so you can have the filename completion option. A lot like tab completion except you have to hit ctrl+f or ctrl+d. The file name completion is nice enough to use the quotes if it thinks it will be confused.
As for XP. I don't think XP is using ME's version of DOS. The main reason why I think this is that ME is still just 9x with a whole crap load of the 16bit code chopped out making it even less stable than any other Windows 9x OS. Thus making it just another version of DOS with a GUI pasted on to it. That and XP still has the ability to run NetSH.exe. Which is definately your friend. If you'd like to tell Windows to shut the $!@# up, turn it into a router or firewall, that would be the program to run.
Now just one thing to keep in mind before I get flamed for the NT commandline being closer to Linux/Unix than 9x commandline. I did say closer to. Meaning I do understand that Linux/Unix commandline is much more powerful still. But Mr. Cutler deserves points for trying. And apologies for using Microsoft Virus and Worm Sharing Client 5.5. I mean Outlook.