Paul on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:50:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: split & cat

The all new Windows newsgroup...  8^)  OT!

Now, on my other PC, "ver" doesn't report the DOS version as ME. I did install service pack 1 (After adjusting my activation code!) so maybe something changed, but I would have sworn that "ver" reported ME before. Mayne not.

I didn't know XP had file name completion.  Can I enable that by default?

(I have a XP question that I will refrain from asking.)

As for XP. I don't think XP is using ME's version of DOS. The main reason why I think this is that ME is still just 9x with a whole crap load of the 16bit code chopped out making it even less stable than any other Windows 9x OS. Thus making it just another version of DOS with a GUI pasted on to it. That and XP still has the ability to run NetSH.exe. Which is definately your friend. If you'd like to tell Windows to shut the $!@# up, turn it into a router or firewall, that would be the program to run.