gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:36:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] $20 wireless PCMCIA card

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 07:20:47PM -0400, Stewart B. Lone wrote:
> My only concern Is the following text from the popup box(at the bottom
> bullet#3 i think, is the following text:-
> "3 Can be wireless enabled with the addition of an optional wireless LAN
> Mini PCI Card. These systems are designed to operate only with wireless
> LAN Mini PCI options sold by IBM."
> I only want to use the card of MY choice(it could be IBM`s)but dont want
> to be locked out of choice.
> I suppose I shall wait, as I prefer to hear from someone with first hand
> experience rather than a vendor with an ax to grind.

This is the third and final time I'm going to say this: if it has a
PCMCIA slot, any PCMCIA 802.11 card will work under any reasonable
OS. There MAY be some way in software that they've locked out
wireless-providing PCMCIA cards under Windows, but I don't think
that's even technically practical, if possible at all (you'd have
to know all the industry- defined vendor tags and vendor-defined
device tags published across the PCMCIA bridge, and as soon as
something new came out you'd have to catalog it and force feed an
update to your users).

I can't help you further than that.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter