John Karr on 22 Mar 2004 02:40:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Why does linux browse at one tenth the speed of Windows XP?

I already have a caching DNS Server. Dig takes a few ms to pull the ip
address from it. I eliminated all the backup entries so it will only
resolve to the local caching server. Also a page where all content pulls
from a single host loads quickly, whereas a page like ebay with content
on different servers takes a while, but this isn't a problem on my
windows machine, and I wasn't having this problem before I upgraded to
Mandrake 10. I'm convinced its some misconfiguration with Mandrake 10.

I have another box I've been trying to install Gentoo on, but at present
I have failed to emerge a kernel, never mind configure X as a point of
reference.

(Arthur, the problem is with both browsers).

Paul wrote:

I bet you have a firewall issue.

OK, have you narrowed the problem down to DNS lookups? I mean, how long does it take to load a page if you use an IP address instead of a name? How long does nslookup or dig take to respond? What about ping and traceroute?

Hey, how about running a caching DNS server?