Jeff Abrahamson on 4 Feb 2006 01:40:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian and debug symbols (-nostrip)

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 01:16:21AM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
>   [20 lines, 177 words, 1262 characters]  Top characters: -aetsonr
>
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:04:31PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > By default debian installs apps and libraries with symbols and other
> > debug info stripped.  I'm sure this saves a miniscule bit of disk
> > space and load time, but is there a good reason for this as a default?
>
> Yes, several, but they are the usual boring space-saving and
> optimization arguments that you are familiar with already.  Most
> packages ship a -dbg package that contains the stripped debugging
> symbols for exactly the reasons yuo are outlining, though, so when you
> have a particular application crash, the debug symbols are usually an
> apt-get away.  Not all by any means, but due to some recent package
> building toolchain feature additions, it has just become trivial to do
> so, so expect more and more packages to do this.

Cool, thanks.

I don't suppose it's also become trivial to specify that I'd like
dependency resolution preferentially to cause installation of the -dbg
versions? ;-)

> |  Stephen Gran                  | Every nonzero finite dimensional inner  |
> |  steve@lobefin.net             | product space has an orthonormal basis. |
> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | It makes sense, when you don't think    |
> |                                | about it.                               |

So true.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287