gabriel rosenkoetter on 27 May 2009 12:06:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Restore proper profile permissions

At 2009-05-26 20:49 -0400, Adam Zion <azion1995@gmail.com> wrote:
> A while back, I messed w/the permissions of my local linux account (it
> was, as I said, a stupid accident). Since then, KDE has acted oddly,
> and I suspect strongly it's due to the perms being wrong. Is there any
> easy way to restore the permissions, or would I be better off creating
> a new profile, copying over files I need, removing the hosed profile,
> + then renaming the new one?

That depends: do you keep backups?

If not, then, no, you can't restore this information.

You could, however, create another regular user account and compare
the permissions in its home directory (plausibly after logging in
using KDE as that user. You may find a tool like mtree(8) (I've
forgotten the GNU work-alike, but there is one) helpful in that
process (and in applying the file modes back to the original
directory). That's probably less upheaval than creating a new
account and moving files to it, and avoids the gotchas of renaming
users (mail queues, /etc/group entries, so forth).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net