Art Alexion on 23 Mar 2010 09:40:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] What's the best KDE-based distro for noobs at this point?

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 10:55:34 am Randall A Sindlinger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:46:15AM -0400, Greg Helledy wrote:
> > I know that this type of question has the potential to provoke a lot of
>
> > conflict, but here goes:
> Your question's wording is interesting.  "At this point" I don't know the
> answer, because it's only at Milestone 3.  But come June, things will
> apparently change.
>
> Using the word "Greatest" is sure to provoke things even futher, but it's
> not my word - it's from linux magazine's Christopher Smart ("Christopher
> Smart  has been using Linux since 1999. In 2005 he created Kororaa Linux,
> which delivered the world's first Live CD showcasing 3D desktop effects.
> He also founded the MakeTheMove website.")
>
> "The Greatest KDE Distro Ever: An Early Look at openSUSE 11.3"
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7693/2/
>
> I have yet to give it a try, so I'm just passing along the URL; I'm not
> endorsing it.
>
> Of course, where openSuSE goes after 11.3 is widely open to speculation at
> this point, too.  "According to the company, Novell [who makes
> SuSE/openSuSE] would consider being acquired should the right buyer come
> along."
> http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7737/1.html

The packge problems with kubuntu seem to reflect that fixing the broken packages
of 4.4.1 is still better than using the earlier version which was part of the
original karmic release.  V. 4.4.1 is coming from a ppa.  The official version
probably doesn't have any more problems than the upstream version, but many of
the upstream problems with the earlier releases were never fixed in that
version, but instead, the fixes were applied to later releases.

That said, I have never installed Mandravia or openSuse, but their users seem
to be having fewer problems than kubuntu users with the cutting edge KDE
releases.

I'd rather wrestle with a broken KDE package than limit myself to gnome, but
I'm not sure I'd recommend any current KDE to a new user.

--
Art Alexion