bergman on 23 Mar 2010 15:57:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] What's the best KDE-based distro for noobs at this point?

In the message dated: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:46:15 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Greg Helledy on
<[PLUG] What's the best KDE-based distro for noobs at this point?> were:
=> I know that this type of question has the potential to provoke a lot of
=> conflict, but here goes:
=>
=> Ubuntu is most commonly recommended for installing on newcomers'
=> computers, but I've read that the KDE packages (as provided with
=> Kubuntu) are poorly-packaged, resulting in a lot of issues like crashing
=> or apps that don't start.
=>
=> Is are Mint's packages the same?  If you wanted to get someone started
=> on a distro with KDE (that they're going to install themselves), what
=> would you suggest?
=>

I haven't used Mint...or Gentoo...and have limited experience with Suse and
Ubuntu...but here's a radical suggestion:

	CentOS

Why? Lots of people will say that it's boring, slow to update, doesn't have the
latest eye-candy and toys. I say that for a new Linux user, someone who's going
to be overwhelmed with the basic concepts, these are _good_ things. CentOS is a
recompilation of RHEL, so it's got the advantages of:

	empahasizing stability

	large installed base

	corporate backing without the price

	heavily KDE based

For a new user, the initial complication would involve adding repositories that
provide non-free components (ie., mp3 player & libraries, Acrobat Reader, etc.).

Mark

=> Thanks,
=> Greg
=>