Bob Schwier on 25 Sep 2010 08:22:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 10.04 install problems

  • From: Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@yahoo.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] 10.04 install problems
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:22:28 -0700 (PDT)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1285428148; bh=uS6zsc92w5CIRDRU2PEyw695q+igyzae4Qy0WFiBaBY=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=H3L7COOMp/jWp86b3x3UPZ5rcf4wuy6RNpt/M3Yunno9c1O3URL/g4GD/2fm2CxMgblECXX4R+/pyVuIkNuLGWV5ZG3y6AY//yo0o8AV08KPbDm/lTEbUnsX6PKO152g4FeJgOGRzCoTYMLVCYJrR1JjrN3LwIgCygOJ+RHasgg=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I recently upgraded to 10.04 and the computer forgot the parameters

for both the video and the printer.

Have you tried creating an new test user and logging in as the test user?  See if the problems are inconsistent settings that the upgrade doesn't like, or a system problem.

Another thing you can try is
aptitude -f install
and
dpkg --configure --all
Which usually fix things if the upgrade didn't complete correctly.

--
artAlexion

dpkg --configure --all  is not recognized in the dpkg command on
my system.  aptitude -f install only found stuff to get rid of.
For the video, I'm still stuck with coming in on recovery mode
and using the failsafe graphics command.  The admin-system is
still completely unresponsive but at least I can get around that
issue.
The printer has no work around like that.  There is no lp0 or
lp anything in /dev and various commands offered on the cups
site simply don't do anything.
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe gets back no such
command even after painfully tracking down that the file exists
and nor does autoprobe's numbered variations.
lp info -v says that the connection is refused.
The installation seems to believe that I should run out and buy
an USB printer which is pissing me off.  I only need a text printer
and the nine pin takes care of my needs nicely with ink that rarely
needs to be replaced and a certain durability that is lacking in
more modern formats.
bs