Jason Stelzer on 25 Sep 2010 09:36:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 10.04 install problems

  • From: Jason Stelzer <jason.stelzer@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] 10.04 install problems
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:36:32 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=ivk+zHS0YzTozYcSo7z4NugqxR5KDhAlfomlMxbtk3s=; b=FsLoIrChqbDnFQXW5xHFzgp/K31wlrF9OIfZEYKO4UpfNGNODOp9Sxz/x/eVd6ZD+3 ytPuWYpCFxASjM+zL8Yal08qWU6cEaDNdox0o5LQzowPHaIL+YLYnhK+X8gL/9nRWtwe 5JbGBgdnBIKvTfuOtuUZN99ew5OZH3WX6hIs0=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

You may want to check out the following:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
> dpkg --configure --all

You want "dpkg --configure -a"
--all isn't valid. The man page has the details.

> Which usually fix things if the upgrade didn't complete correctly.

All that does is finish unpacking debs and execute pending scripts. If
things are in a state where modules aren't being loaded, then it may
not fix much of anything. But, it's going to at least get the system
back into a state where apt-get can be used to install additional
things.

> The printer has no work around like that. ÂThere is no lp0 or
> lp anything in /dev and various commands offered on the cups
> site simply don't do anything.

Check that the kernel has loaded the right modules. See the wiki page
above for details.

Once you get the correct device drivers loaded into the kernel,
restart cups via the /etc/init.d script. Cups is the printing system,
if it isn't starting, invoking commands that query it is premature.

> /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe gets back no such
> command even after painfully tracking down that the file exists

Stuff under /proc is generally a file or directory, not a command to execute.

> and nor does autoprobe's numbered variations.

I'm not sure what autoprobe is in this context.

> lp info -v says that the connection is refused.

That suggests that cups isn't running. Ensure the kernel modules you
need are loaded, then try manually launching cups via the
/etc/init.d/cupsd (or whatever cups uses). You could check via netstat
-pn to see if it's running.

I'd start by ensuring that the appropriate modules are loaded by the
kernel. Once you get those loaded, I'd (re)start the cups daemon. If
that gets things into a saner state, then I'd probably go about
ensuring that the modules you identify get loaded on boot. Perhaps it
will be as simple as adding them to /etc/modules (one per line).

The relative merits of usb vs lp is lost on me but this should get you
on your way.

--
J.