Rich Freeman via plug on 13 Jan 2023 03:40:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Multi-Interface Networking a PiDP8 Simulator

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 10:37 AM Soren Harward via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> # ip route list
> default via 10.1.1.1 dev eno1 proto static
> 10.1.1.0/24 dev eno1 proto kernel scope link src 10.1.1.10
> 10.1.2.0/24 dev eno2 proto kernel scope link src 10.1.2.10

This will work of course, but it has the downside that it will make
the wired interfaces not work with ordinary networks.

IMO a simpler solution is to just use zeroconf, which was basically
designed to solve exactly this problem.  Just about every OS out there
supports it out of the box already.  Some linux distros do not unless
you install some packages.

If both hosts support zeroconf then all you need to do is connect them
via a crossover cable (or connect them to the same switch).  Then you
can just ssh from one to the other via <hostname>.local.  This also
works for any number of hosts connected to the same switch.  It also
works if there is a DHCP server on the switch but no DNS server - mDNS
will still allow discovery via the .local TLD.

I occasionally use the mDNS zeroconf feature for headless setup of new
devices, since they will often be discoverable using some default
hostname.  This can be easier than going into the DHCP server and
figuring out what IP it was assigned or trying to trace activity on
the switch port.

In any case, zeroconf is a fallback mode, so if you plug the port into
a network that has a DHCP server then it will just configure itself
normally.  Basically every Windows/OSX device out there already
supports this stuff out of the box and it obviously doesn't cause
problems.  I think Ubuntu Desktop has it enabled by default - other
distros may vary.  You can probably google your distro name and
zeroconf and find out how to enable it if it isn't already enabled.

--
Rich