Walt Mankowski via plug on 17 Jan 2023 17:01:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Potential meeting places for PLUG North

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 02:05:13PM -0500, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 9:04 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > Radnor isn't going to work at all. We don't have a budget, so if Conshy's going to charge us then they're out too. Ludington or one of the other Lower Merion libraries might work, but need someone who lives in the township to volunteer to reserve the room for us.
>
> I hadn't thought of a library but I bet many of them could be options.
> Most of these locations look at more of a PLUG West location than
> North, but I'm sure there is plenty of interest either way.  Only
> general suggestion I'd make is to try to get it close to a highway
> (76/476/etc).  If it is way down Rt 30/etc then that can get pretty
> messy in the early evening.

Ludington is on 30 about 2 miles east of the Blue Route. The Radnor
Library is about a block off 30 about 2 miles west of the Blue
Route. Conshy KoP is about 5 minutes from the Schuykill.

> I wouldn't be surprised if some libraries don't have requirements for
> a local resident but it is hard to say.  That would require calling
> around.  I'm pretty sure I could get a pretty nice community room at
> my local library, but I'm pretty far away from most here, and while it
> is fairly close to 309 that isn't a super-convenient highway for most.

It's a bit of a drive for me, yeah.

> Libraries in general tend to be sympathetic to FOSS so we'd probably
> be able to get some sponsorship as long as we don't run into outright
> rules like some you found.

I figured we'd probably get listed on their monthly calendar. I'm not
sure what other sort of sponsorship you have in mind.

> I guess one barrier for us is that we aren't 501c3/etc.  There are
> options available if you have that status as companies can get tax
> benefits for providing facilities.  Of course that is a huge amount of
> work to obtain/maintain, so I'm not suggesting that...

Nobody asked about that at the 3 places I checked out.

Walt