Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 20 Jan 2023 23:31:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Framework laptop

There is a lot to love, and there's a really amazing amount of
FOSS-compatible choices inside. While I often ramble happily about the
latest tech to catch my attention, I draw the line at outright
endorsing anything. I cross that line for the Framework, and happily,
it's genuinely a wonderful solution for anyone that wants the gross
concept (thin and light, moderate power, lots of FOSS-compatibility
options, self-serviceable). In particular, having the EC being
user-friendly by default and not locked to Intel or another corporate
master was a delightful surprise. I've been corrected that it's not
running Coreboot by default yet, but it is being worked on, and that's
more than most OEMs can claim.

Being able to order any part individually is something I haven't seen
*any* other OEM offer, and having the CAD for the top and bottom
shells, among other parts, gives a ton of options for the makers in
the audience. Using USB3/Thunderbolt as the standard connection for
the adapter cards also leaves you free to create new options as well.

And like Stavros, I would advise ordering spare/extra adapter cards. I
did one each of HDMI, Displayport, Ethernet and MicroSD (all but
Ethernet are 10$ each, so not hard to justify), and did two USB A and
four USB C, as I think those will end up seeing the most use. I was
recently gaming on the go on my Framework (GeForce Now on a Chromebook
is something to see), and I used two A and two C adapters, so I could
connect power, my mouse, and a wireless headset, and halfway through
the evening I decided I wanted the power cord on the other side of the
laptop. I paused the game, swapped two adapters, and was back in my
game in about 2 minutes. I could have thrown in a different adapter
entirely in a few seconds more.

I'm currently 3d printing my own custom bezels for the Framework. It's
pretty easy, aside from sourcing the magnets to use.