JP Vossen via plug on 25 Jan 2023 21:23:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My Holy Quest for a WYSIWYG HTML Word Processor

On 1/25/23 10:16 PM, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
I found out the answer to "why is this program missing from the
market?"

Since when did "it doesn't actually work" remove anything from the market?  :-)

when I needed to maintain all my web pages made by Frontpage,
Netscape Composer, Netscape Gold, KDE Kompozer, and several other
supposedly WYSIWYG web authoring tools. They all produce unmaintainable
HTML

Full stop.

, when you switch from one WYSIWYG to another over the years, as
you'll certainly need to do because good software goes bad or
distros drop one software and put in another, it won't be WYSIWYG
anymore.

Heck, it probably won't be *readable* anymore.

The "what you get" part requires valid and validated HTML and
CSS, and I'd be totally shocked if any WYSIWYG product writes valid
HTML. My experience with WYSIWYG products is that they don't properly
use CSS, needlessly complexifying your document.

Oh yes, the code from any of them is/was atrocious and incompatible with anything else.  Speaking of atrocious and incompatible, I think Turd used to be able to Export as HTML, with results exactly as good as you'd expect.

Later,
JP