Walt Mankowski via plug on 26 Jan 2023 06:41:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My Holy Quest for a WYSIWYG HTML Word Processor

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023, at 10:21 PM, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
Ronaldo Nascimento via plug said on Wed, 25 Jan 2023 13:45:45 -0500

>On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 1:23:58 PM EST Casey Bralla (Mail List)
>via plug wrote:
>> I'm on a holy quest for a WYSIWYG HTML word processor.  It seems like
>> lots of other people would want this also.
>
>Why not TeX?
>
>https://www.lyx.org/
>
>LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
>based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM) and not simply
>their appearance (WYSIWYG).

LyX/LaTex is great if you only export to PDF and never expect to export
to HTML or ePub. But trying to make HTML or ePub out of LaTeX requires
the use of something like that awful Pandoc.

I wouldn’t call Pandora “awful”; I think it depends what you’re trying to with it. I had very good results using Pandoc to convert Markdown to LaTeX. I was teaching a class that had weekly quizzes. I used LaTeX so I could automate the layout and include a little math. The problem with LaTeX is that it can get a little wordy, and it’s a lot easier to type _italic_ than \emph{italic} all the time. It wasn’t perfect and I still had to go back and tweak a few things each week, but it was still easier than doing it all by hand.

Trying to convert LaTeX to HTML is a much harder problem and I’m not all that surprised it didn’t work very well.

Walt