JP Vossen via plug on 7 Feb 2023 13:30:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Topic for Wednesday’s meeting?

+1 for this.

I'd be particularly interested in a contrast to Icinga2, and if Zabbix can use the NRPE agent.  I know it has its own (probably better) agent.

I looked into Zabbix in 2018 but didn't switch from Icinga1, but I don't remember why now.  I did note the web UI was very nice and easy.

I moved from Debian-10 to 11 over the holidays, which deprecated my very old Icinga1, which was itself a drop-in replacement for Nagios.  Icinga2 is not a drop-in replacement, nor is there a great automated upgrade path.  It took me 3-4 days to re-create everything in the new syntax, but then it not only Just Worked, but it Just Worked Better.  And I can still use my existing (locked down) NRPE agent.  And pfSense has NRPE, but it has a lot of Zabbix too.