Steve Litt via plug on 5 May 2023 17:55:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] take-your-bash-scripting-seriously

Ron Mansolino via plug said on Thu, 4 May 2023 18:42:08 -0400

>Some notes on cross-platform compatibility (a bit of /bin/sh rant):
>https://medium.com/@jesse_62134/take-your-bash-scripting-seriously-198778c68ba5

On scripts vs programs. I've always maintained that if you tell a
computer what to do in the future, you're programming. Whether it's
100K lines of C or 2 lines of /bin/sh, if it's non-interactive and more
than one command, it's programming. If you write a Word macro, it's
programming.

I hear people who can work miracles with Perl claim "I'm not a
programmer!" Nonsense. What, if they converted their script to C all of
a sudden it would be a program?

People have made web servers and init systems with /bin/sh.

SteveT

Steve Litt