Rich Freeman via plug on 26 May 2023 02:55:28 -0700

[PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

I have a few Windows PCs I care about, and so I want to back up data.
They're generally not powered on 24x7, as they're typically things
like tablets, desktops, etc.  While I do strive to keep the
obviously-important stuff stored on network shares on linux hosts,
Windows software tends to stick stuff in local places and in the event
of something going wrong it is better to have a backup of everything
than rely on anticipating everything that could go wrong.

Right now I'm backing up my windows clients using burp.  It is a
little clunky, but it works, and it uses VSS so it does back up
everything including in-use files (registry hives, application
databases, etc).

For various reasons I want to migrate the server from that, and before
undertaking that work I want to see if it would make sense to just
migrate to something else entirely.

My requirements:
1. Can backup windows.
2. Preferably can backup linux too (though finding alternatives for
this is easy).
3. Needs to use VSS or otherwise back up in-use files.
4. Needs to handle hosts that are usually offline, or which power off
in the middle of backups.  Obviously this is best-effort, but
completed backup jobs should be usable.
5. Can store the data to a local path (on a server), ssh, SMB, etc.
This is a locally hosted solution.

Nice-to-haves:
1. Already has a k8s/docker/etc config with a reasonably supported
image repository.
2. Provides fairly easy access to individual files.
3. Deduplication of some kind (mostly care about incremental deltas,
not spotting duplication between source files).
4. Minimal manual maintenance needed for any client-side installs,
including compatibility with server-side upgrades.

Anybody have anything like this in mind?  One of the reasons that I
adopted Burp years ago was that there weren't a lot of great options
that supported VSS.  Solutions that don't support it tend to be
simple, and back up 99.9% of the data, but the 0.1% they don't back up
tends to be the stuff you care about the most.

--
Rich