Steve Litt via plug on 27 May 2023 17:36:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

Rich Freeman via plug said on Fri, 26 May 2023 05:55:14 -0400

>My requirements:
>1. Can backup windows.
>2. Preferably can backup linux too (though finding alternatives for
>this is easy).
>3. Needs to use VSS or otherwise back up in-use files.
>4. Needs to handle hosts that are usually offline, or which power off
>in the middle of backups.  Obviously this is best-effort, but
>completed backup jobs should be usable.
>5. Can store the data to a local path (on a server), ssh, SMB, etc.
>This is a locally hosted solution.

My first thought would be a bootable System Rescue CD thumb drive with
a shellscript to rsync remote-push changed files to a tree on the backup
server of your choice. Every time you power down your important Windows
boxes, just reboot to the thumb drive, run the shellscript, and if
everything goes well, shut down. No Windows files in use, no changing
files, and rsync has the capability to push only files changed since
the last time, and the cp -al command can produce both an up to date
version and an incremental version that can be used forever.

>Nice-to-haves:
>1. Already has a k8s/docker/etc config with a reasonably supported
>image repository.

My way doesn't do that, but it does back up every file on your disks.

>2. Provides fairly easy access to individual files.

My way creates a duplicate of your windows box's directory tree.

>3. Deduplication of some kind (mostly care about incremental deltas,
>not spotting duplication between source files).

My way requires extra space only for files that have changed since last
backup.

>4. Minimal manual maintenance needed for any client-side installs,

Bzzzt, I lose. My way requires a manual reboot, and then after time, a
manual shutdown.

>including compatibility with server-side upgrades.

I've been running rsync based backups for more than a decade and no
upgrade ever caused problems.

SteveT

Steve Litt