Rich Freeman via plug on 26 May 2023 04:38:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 7:16 AM Michael Lazin via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mount
>
> This is Microsoft's documentation on mounting and NFS share.  You can set up a secure NFS share on a Linux box, it has traditionally been viewed as insecure but you can password protect on the Linux server.  Once you have the NFS share mounted it will appear as a drive volume on the Windows machine and you can use the command line utility of your choice to move the data from WIndows to Linux.  In the past I had an old NAS that had a SPARC processor that could share NFS and I used it for this purpose but you can easily set up NFS on any Linux device you would like to use as a backup server.

This fails to address requirement 3.
3. Needs to use VSS or otherwise back up in-use files.

Random command line utilities on windows are not able to copy files
that are open.  Windows is different from linux in this regard.

Aside from this, I'd basically have to write my own backup client
(ugh), on windows (double ugh).

--
Rich