Rich Freeman via plug on 30 May 2023 17:37:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blog: John Goerzen: Recommendations for Tools for Backing Up and Archiving to Removable Media

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 3:48 PM Martin Cracauer via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Anybody else on tape? I assume Rich is and I would be interested in a
> talk about bacula.

I'm actually not on tape, but I could talk a bit about that too.  Ok,
I think I'll keep bacula in the presentation queue somewhere.

The reason I don't use tape is just the cost doesn't make sense at my
scale.  It is cheaper to just buy USB3 hard drives and treat them like
tapes.  The tapes are of course more durable if you drop them, but
otherwise they're not much different, and hard disks are much cheaper
unless you accumulate quite a few.  The tapes might be more reliable
if stored properly (a big if), but I have other fallback options if my
backup drives fail.

--
Rich