Steve Litt via plug on 31 May 2023 18:58:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blog: John Goerzen: Recommendations for Tools for Backing Up and Archiving to Removable Media

Martin Cracauer via plug said on Tue, 30 May 2023 15:48:20 -0400

>JP Vossen via plug wrote on Tue, May 30, 2023 at 03:22:14PM -0400:
>> Very topical, Bacula comes up.
>> https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10500-recommendations-for-tools-for-backing-up-and-archiving-to-removable-media
>>

>Every time I read about backups and archives I am glad that I still
>also use tape.  Quite a few people see it as the longest lasting
>common backup medium, better than HDs.  If you have mechanical failure
>with the tape system you just use a new drive and chances are the
>medium is unaffected.  If you have mechanical failure with HDs you are
>generally cut off from the medium.
>
>Anybody else on tape? I assume Rich is and I would be interested in a
>talk about bacula.

I've had good experience with 9 track reel to reel like they use on
mainframes and minis (like PDP11), assuming they're recorded and played
back by high quality vacuum-tensioning drives. Trouble is, they don't
store enough data for modern day usage. In my experience other types
of tapes or drives are write-only devices.

The big reason I never use tapes is that five, ten or twenty years from
now, I might not be able to procure a compatible tape drive when the
current one breaks, and boom, all my tapes are museum pieces.

I once wrote about this:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/200208/200208.htm#_backup_principles

SteveT

Steve Litt