Rich Freeman via plug on 1 Jun 2023 15:32:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Back Up Medium - Only 1 is 100% Reliable in 20 Years

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 3:59 PM Syeed Ali via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:20:42 -0400
> Matt Berlin via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> > These discussions always make me think of
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_storage
>
> There are an actual paper storage formats which I was thinking about
> during this discussion.  I think I already knew about optar but I did a
> little poking around for others:

I think I've used paperkey or something like it to store copies of gpg
keys on paper in safe places.  Probably for my backup keys actually.
The theory is that this sort of thing can be protected by a fire safe,
unlike disk/tape/etc (unless you have a safe rated for media -
magnetic media isn't as heat-resistant as paper).

It makes sense for small files with high value.  You could never store
any significant amount of data in this way.

--
Rich