Syeed Ali via plug on 4 Jun 2023 11:24:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gigabyte Mother Boards

On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 17:57:16 +0000
LeRoy Cressy via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> In reading this article I found that the hacks were M$ Windows hacks.

There's significant enough interest in Linux that it's useful to hack
into, for example, a sysadmin's computer.

> https://www.wired.com/story/gigabyte-motherboard-firmware-backdoor/
> 271 models of Gigabyte motherboards

.. what.

> Smith acknowledges that Gigabyte probably had no malicious or
> deceptive intent in its hidden firmware tool.

That's an outright lie.  Everybody with a lick of sense should know
that automatic updates are Bad.

It's doubly stupid to have automatic updating _firmware_.  Maybe grandma
turns her computer on and it's bricked for unknown reasons.