Mike Leone via plug on 13 Jun 2023 06:23:42 -0700

[PLUG] Stupid question about antique Debian and mail settings

I'm an idiot, that's a given. :-)
I have an antique version of Debian. When I say "antique", I mean:

vadmin@admnftp002:/etc$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        9.10
Codename:       karmic

LOL

Anyway, this creaky old VM has been chugging along for like 12 years,
doing 1 internal function (picking up files via scp, and putting them
in a shared folder for a PeopleSoft process to come along and scoop
up). Anyways, it sends an email when it's finished, using a simple
"mailx" command (mailx -s "FIles here!" <recipient>
<message-body.txt).

And I just now realized that it is not sending email anymore, because
the host it's trying to send through no longer exists. (we have an
internal host that does SMTP mail relaying, and it's been retired so
it no longer exists. We have a new host, which uses a DNS alias these
days, so changing hosts in the future won't matter, I'll just re-point
the CNAME).

Anyways, I can't for the life of me remember where to change this
setting in this old VM. I've searched, but I guess I am searching
wrongly, since I'm not finding where to tell this host to use the new
CNAME instead of the old retired name,

                   The mail system

<Michael.Leone@pha.phila.gov>: Host or domain name not found. Name service
    error for name=admnlts002.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov type=A: Host not found

That's the old SMTP mail relaying host (admnlts002) that doesn't exist
anymore. I need to replace that name with the new name. And that's
what I forget how to do. I don't think this VM uses sendmail (I don't
see anything like sendmail.cf in /etc), but I don't know what it does
use..

Clue, anyone?

--

Mike. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>