Rich Kulawiec via plug on 14 Jun 2023 04:22:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Stupid question about antique Debian and mail settings

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 09:23:26AM -0400, Mike Leone via plug wrote:
> That's the old SMTP mail relaying host (admnlts002) that doesn't exist
> anymore. I need to replace that name with the new name. And that's
> what I forget how to do. I don't think this VM uses sendmail (I don't
> see anything like sendmail.cf in /etc), but I don't know what it does
> use..

Step one will be determining what MTA this VM is running, so that you
can change the smarthost.  "Smarthost" is somewhat generic term
used by sendmail and other MTAs to designate a system capable of
delivering mail to arbitrary destinations, as opposed to a system
which is only capable of handing off mail to a smarthost.  This is
highly useful in large deployments, as it's only necessary to configure
and maintain one or two smarthosts, while configuring all other systems
to use those smarthosts rather than attempting delivery themselves
(to any non-local destination).

I suggest:

1. Look in /etc/mail and report back what files are present.

2. If /etc/mail doesn't exist, then run:

	find / -name sendmail.cf -print

which should find sendmail's primary configuration file if present.

If it's present, then run:

	 egrep "^DZ" /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

(replacing the path with the location on your system of course) which
should yield the version of sendmail that was used to build the
configuration file.  That's *probably* the same as the version of
sendmail that's running, although it may not necessarily be.

3. If that doesn't yield anything, then run:

	find / -name postfix -print

which should turn up postfix's configuration directory if present.

If 2 or 3 yield useful information, then we can move on to step two,
which will be modifying the smarthost that is (probably) configured in.

---rsk