Rich Freeman via plug on 13 Jun 2023 06:51:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] "Online only" terminal IMAP client?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 8:43 AM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 06:24:10AM -0400, N. Albert via plug wrote:
> > Upon further thought, I could run it in a separate namespace (chroot-like
> > environment) to mitigate this (and should anyways). That doesn't address
> > everything but it lessens the requirements somewhat.
>
> I'm pretty rusty at it these days, but I wonder if you could
> accomplish a lot of what you're trying to do by running mutt inside
> Docker?

++ in general.  Most container solutions have the ability to launch
things from a clean state, with no persistent storage.

I believe you can do that with systemd services as well - if you have
it all namespaced off you can tell it to basically not have any
persistent writes.  Anytime the service restarts it will get a fresh
image.

I'm sure there are also kiosk solutions for this sort of thing.

I'm guessing you could also use something like apparmor/snap/flatpak
whatever to create a containerized version of a MUA where the cache
directories are all part of the container and thus they go away when
the application dies.

In theory you could write an MUA that doesn't cache anything, but this
is pretty contrary to the history of how such things developed.  Even
most webmail clients have caches these days.

--
Rich