Matt Mossholder via plug on 13 Jun 2023 09:01:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] "Online only" terminal IMAP client?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 9:51 AM Rich Freeman via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> I'm pretty rusty at it these days, but I wonder if you could
> accomplish a lot of what you're trying to do by running mutt inside
> Docker?

++ in general.  Most container solutions have the ability to launch
things from a clean state, with no persistent storage.

I believe you can do that with systemd services as well - if you have
it all namespaced off you can tell it to basically not have any
persistent writes.  Anytime the service restarts it will get a fresh
image.

 You would probably also want to combine Docker with having the volatile storage reside on a tmpfs, such that it never actually touches a disk. If the idea is to prevent sensitive data from being stored locally, having it RAM-backed rather than disk/SSD-backed narrows the window of exposure.

     --Matt