Douglas Lentz via plug on 1 Aug 2023 06:17:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Request for help, bricked my PC attempting to dual-boot

Thanks, Will. I will contact Rich with this info.

The install was UEFI (non CSM), partition scheme GPT

I can explain the problem a little better now.

Attempted to dual boot Ubuntu/Windows on preinstalled Windows 11 machine.

I used a windows app called rufus to unpack the Ubuntu ISO according to the instructions at https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/dual-boot-linux-and-windows-11

Both partition and installation went fine
Both OSs are on the SSD drive
First boot after installation went fine.
Updated Ubuntu. Ubuntu requested a restart after apt-get update.
Second boot failed
System will not boot from the Ubuntu installation USB stick that I used to boot the installation media.

System boots to grub rescue mode, but does not respond to keyboard input. I've tried depressing multiple function keys before, while, and during power on, but no luck.

Without keyboard, I don't see any alternative but to pull the SSD drive and mount it on another machine, then either fix it, reformat it (not sure if I can do this with the hardware I have), or live without it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again for the referral to Rich.

Quoting Will <staticphantom@gmail.com>:

Is this an efi or bios install?

@Rich Mignon <Gforge@gmail.com> is the expert on here when I have boot
problems.

-Will C

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023, 20:43 Douglas Lentz via plug <