LeRoy Cressy via plug on 1 Aug 2023 07:11:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Request for help, bricked my PC attempting to dual-boot

On Monday, July 31, 2023 9:48:20 PM EDT Will via
plug wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023, 20:43 Douglas Lentz via
> plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> Recently got a new desktop PC. It came with
> Windows 11 preinstalled.  (Windows installation
> worked with no problems that I could see).
> There are one or two applications I use that
> unfortunately, only run on Windows. I attempted
> to set up dual booting, Ubuntu 22.04/Windows
> 11.
>
> Partitioning and installation was unremarkable.
> First restart went OK  - grub gave me a "Select
> your OS" menu.
>
> Updated Ubuntu. Ubuntu requested a restart to
> finish installation.

In Debian and Arch Linux distributions I have
never seen a windows behavior of restarting the
system during a system update.

> The box now restarts to a Grub 2.06 command
> prompt screen. You know the one:

> GNU grub 2.06
>
> Minimal BASH-like editing is supported...
>
> grub>

> However, I can't enter anything because the box
> no longer responds to  keyboard input. I've
> tried both a USB keyboard and one with the
> old-fashioned DNI type, circular keyboard
> connector. No good.
>
> Is there anything else I can do, or any way to
> proceed from here, or  is the only alternative
> to take it to a service place and have the
> drive wiped?

Do you have a System Rescue disk or other live
Linux boot disk?

If so, boot the system with the live disk and
mount the boot partition which will probably be
your /dev/sda[34]

gdisk -l  might help you figure out what partition
to mount.

fakeroot into your mounted root partition
run grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

you should see the grub various menu item
detected.

--
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
 mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

  /\_/\
 ( o.o )
  > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and
the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John
14:6)

You can find me on the following:

Telegram:
    (My Main Channel)