Keith C. Perry via plug on 1 Aug 2023 07:21:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VMWare help

I haven't used VMwave in a very very long time but as far as the networking issues are concerned, these system, Qemu (KVM), VirtualBox and VMware, work about the same.  You would either have to pass through a physical network interface (that is connected to the network) or use bridge networking if you want to have access the same wire as the host.

NAT could be an issue here as well.  For VMs systems the NAT mode maybe using some default networking that would allow you out but because you are NAT'd, your system would not be able to be requested externally (i.e. you would not be able to ping or ssh TO the system from the host).  The other NAT issue that could happen if the host was acting as a router for the VM.  In that case, there could be NAT rules on the host that are affecting you.  Probably not the case but there could certainly be NAT rules on the guest if it expects to not be NAT'd elsewhere.

It sounds like there is some sort of 10 net on the back end and the 192.168.1.x is the front end, is that correct?

If so, I would want to know if the host is physically connected to both networks with two nics or one nic that is stacked with two IPs.  If the former, it should be possible to create two VMs NICs and add them to two bridges (each with the real hardware interface).  If the later, you only need to create one NIC on a bridge for the VM but then in the VM you would also stack the NIC with two IPs.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2023 6:28:49 PM
Subject: [PLUG] VMWare help

Any VMWare experts out there? Trying to help someone remotely with a strange configuration.

Note: I did not set this up. :)

He has a back end with fixed ip of 10.1.10.240 that we are trying get the VM to talk to. The host machine has a fixed ip address of 10.1.10.101. The host can ping the back end successfully.

In the VM we have tried a fixed Ip address, and just selecting NAT in the VM setup with acquie ip address automatically. But have not been able to successfully ping the back end.

In addition we have successfully connected to the main network using DHCP which has Internet access and successfully browsed the internet (192.168.1.X subnet).

Do I have to setup bridging, or how do I get the VM to talk over the same ip address as the host?

Thanks,
Eric

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android