Walt Mankowski via plug on 5 Aug 2023 12:14:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Sad News

The Baofengs are under $25 now! They've got a spectacularly bad UI and
the manual is even worse, but aside from that they're a perfectly
cromulent beginner's radio.

Someone said that Jim played a role is getting the weekly Saturday
morning OMIK net on the Phil-Mont repeater. I've only listened a few
weeks but I've already learned a lot about radios and life in general
from (I think it's Cliff?) who runs that net. I even did my first POTA
last weekend when I joined the net from the little township park next
to my building. I don't think it's an officially listed park, but a)
I'm not going to let The Man tell me what is and isn't a "park", b)
Emlen Tunnell, the park's namesake, played a small but important role
in Black history and so it seemed fitting, and c) I didn't realize
there even was an official list of parks.

I think maybe what Jim really was was a tinkerer. There sure is a lot
of stuff to tinker with in ham radios!