Elizabeth K. Joseph via plug on 5 Aug 2023 20:25:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Sad News

On Fri, Aug 4, 2023 at 5:36 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> I have some sad news to share -- Jim Fisher, aka jedijf, passed away
> suddenly on Tuesday.

This has been tremendously hard. In spite of having moved away, I
spoke with Jim at least a couple times a week via IRC. He was one of
the few people I've managed to stay in close contact with through
these past few years of pandemic and having young children at home.
Speaking of which, he always had hilarious words of advice about kids,
especially when I was taking myself too seriously (which was often).

Like so many others on the HAM radio side, I'm KN6QGG directly due to
Jim's persistence over the years. But I first knew him through his
work in the Ubuntu Pennsylvania community. As I was scouring the image
directories on the Ubuntu Pennsylvania website on Thursday, I found
lots of photos of him at installfests, release parties, and more. He
was always actively engaging participants, and I joked that some of
the images are blurry because he was always on the move. I've put a
bunch of them here:
https://ubuntupennsylvania.org/images/albums/jedijf/

What I also noticed was that even at events where he wasn't present,
like LAN parties and some later night events (remember MythTV?), his
FOOD was there. He always made sure we had danishes, bread, and Oreo
cake, for whatever activity we hosted that day. He nourished our
communities literally and figuratively.

I already miss him so much.

--
Elizabeth K. Joseph || Lyz || pleia2