Chris Thistlethwaite via plug on 11 Sep 2023 12:08:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Outgoing VPN for Entire Network

Going to answer your question in a very roundabout way. I have a few routers from https://www.gl-inet.com/ initially started off buying one for a travel router. Picked up a few more for family and friends when they needed something setup that I'd have to support. They run OpenWRT and have a shiny open source UI layered on top. Each have Wireguard server and client built-in and are well documented on setting up many configs. So, if you ran your own Wireguard node, say in Linode, then you could connect a gl-inet router to that and all the traffic served through the router would exit the Linode node. I'm not sure how to connect that same setup to other VPN providers, but I'm pretty sure it would be written up somewhere on their support site.

A second suggestion, I got sucked into Tailscale based on them sponsoring some of the podcasts I listen too. Figured I'd try it out, see what all the hype is about. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to use. I'm totally convinced it's magic and somehow broken because it's that easy to use. There is also Headscale https://github.com/juanfont/headscale if you wanted to selfhost the "controller" side of things instead of using Tailscale. Surprise surprise, it's basically a wrapper for Wireguard. So either way your answer is Wireguard for VPN.

-Chris T.