Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 9 Dec 2023 14:40:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Old Raspberry Pi Max Input Supply Voltage

If you put 7V into the GPIO inputs, you will have a warm Pi for a few
hundredths of a second, and then no Raspberry Pi at all. The GPIO
power inputs are *not* regulated and are *very* sensitive, they want
5V input. Not 7V, not 5.5V, not even 5.1V. I popped the VRMs on a lot
of early Pis by powering them via GPIO.

I *think* cooking the inputs via GPIO will also perma-brick the Pi,
since you'd be killing components further inboard than the usual
micro-USB input, which feeds a regulator, which then feeds into where
the GPIO pins tie in.

I looked for some documentation to support, and the only things I
found said to supply 5V to GPIO, never more, and design your power
hats to fail *low*, since failing high will cause board death. Sorry I
don't have more supporting information to cite.