Walt Mankowski via plug on 7 Jan 2024 07:46:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux install-a-thon?

PLUG used to take part in a number of installfests, but the last one I
can find in my mail archives was in 2013. Sadly the person who
organized them, Jim Fisher, passed away last year so he can't
comment. But I believe the reason Jim stopped doing them was that it
was getting harder to find people to take the computers.

The computing world is different now than it was 10-15 years ago.
Today everyone carries around a computer in their pocket. Plus there
are Chromebooks for school and $80 netbooks at Micro Center. I think a
lot of people who were using the Debian boxes we built back in the day
might be better served today with a commodity Android phone.

I'm not saying to not do it. But I do think it would be a good idea to
make sure you have some folks lined up who might actually want them
before you devote a lot of time and effect to the project.

Walt