Will via plug on 19 Mar 2024 15:11:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] TrueNAS CORE 13 is the end of the FreeBSD version

From what I have seen, what they are doing to Debian is a tragedy and personally I think their security posture with their linux offering is quite concerning.

-Will C

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 6:06 PM Martin Cracauer via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
JP Vossen via plug wrote on Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 05:29:01PM -0400:
> Interesting news, especially given Martin's great PLUG N FreeBSD talk that alluded to this (and pfSense) last week.
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/18/truenas_abandons_freebsd/

There is more detail here:
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/what-is-the-future-of-truenas-core.116049/page-2#post-804807

It really is a two edged sword.  On one hand there goes a lot of
FreeBSD systems in the wild.  On the other hand there have been
concerns about their ability to keep up-to-date, how they integrate
apps and how they deal with security advisories.  That is an ugly mix,
once you are behind upstream you have to take care of security
yourself.  They also developed some things that they wanted upstreamed
into FreeBSD, which were rejected.  That puts a dent in the
enthusiasm.

It is hard to imagine that life for them will be easier on Debian.

In the end the defining feature is ZFS, not the underlying OS.

Martin

> TrueNAS CORE 13 is the end of the FreeBSD version
> Author Liam Proven (Website)
> Debian-based TrueNAS SCALE is the future primary focus
>
> Bad news from BSD land ??? the oldest vendor of BSD systems is changing direction away from FreeBSD and toward Linux. ...
>
> --- end
>
> Later,
> JP
> JP Vossen, CISSP | http://www.jpsdomain.org/ | http://bashcookbook.com/