Jonathan Caicedo via plug on 29 Mar 2024 12:23:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] xz backdoor... check your boxes

Eh, I’m hearing otherwise - Arch Linux did use impacted tarballs, but `sshd` on Arch is NOT linked against `liblzma` - so Arch wasn’t impacted in the same way Debian Unstable/Fedora 40 and Rawhide were.

See the comments here - https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/xz/-/issues/2

With that said, like Rich said, in 5.6.1-2, Arch has moved to cloning via Git and not using `xz` tarballs directly, so things should be mitigated if the fallout of this backdoor is larger than just `sshd`.

I’ll echo the commenters on the Arch bug report - “there seems to be no cause for panic on Arch”

— Jonathan