[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Linux for dummies, ThinkPad Lenovo, Linux install, email, etc.
- To: ilsa <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Linux for dummies, ThinkPad Lenovo, Linux install, email, etc.
- From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
- Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:07:06 -0700
- Arc-authentication-results: i=2; gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 184.108.40.206 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org) smtp.mailfrom=Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 220.127.116.11 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of email@example.com) smtp.mailfrom=Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu
- Arc-message-signature: i=2; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=list-unsubscribe:list-subscribe:list-archive:list-help:list-post :list-id:mailing-list:precedence:user-agent:content-disposition :mime-version:in-reply-to:references:subject:cc:to:reply-to:from :date:message-id:arc-authentication-results:arc-message-signature :sender:dkim-signature:arc-authentication-results; bh=6SJwgl8k+Hvg5n7MHygAKxzPpsWD+tSDciXvMN4FngY=; b=EtMWtESlRT06oeH3bNfGO7phUn86LI2SK4N1WSF+FwysFDB2+E9i2pJqVXnduRbpDE fQOQmORbpEik7z6PyxeIfLoSZQ3YyUAhISYBrebGwBg8UHXccF6ufbEzV+LUIvl+2Hb6 Fne0fjikPOx2IB/URdsTYWFd+OTSHYL+hcde7gtPfA3awdCO3S2otFjPwoK98mybBXU2 EDys9o/kbfws+BI66sDbPwuTzgFuD9/Ax/B+yefyD8oUnix2Fi34guA84NVQ7sLTDag8 Iof48h/YBIURij2j4zLXhlpyRavkabenG1n5OOZGOUjHIBcSx587nV2aZssYm+iY/+zH YBaA==
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=user-agent:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :mime-version:in-reply-to:references:subject:cc:to:reply-to:from :date:message-id:arc-authentication-results; bh=lhYN7Ia6aBEYxaztpzOBsh7mHLHKWAOLZly14kQBMdE=; b=PtM6VvV6BN1NfgKYyWPt50arLsrTaAFEp4GBKTF9lJukINKqrNj20GWvrpunhC0EMl DdSgNhtoO1hn3o4g7YbWEcxqra4AS8D8GeH3waC4BSrJC0Qes30UbakU2m/1hOMpxu5o wuqBlGoMEnyf8kwzOL8OBfvqfX7jKVppl8JyCeBKt2uwQ1GTDs1LbhhftpDZH1/MnuPh O8FelsbxAlOcHhVqPfidh5vE4yAufjZRukxgNanq9Iud7jGeuXZjAfJypysPTuJsjoPO ne6bGVrIoBG43GB3YtMYaSiaimp41WRl6z+LPP/J/3uAISpBL6AzFBgbVoRanzkPOfDJ LErg==
- Arc-seal: i=2; a=rsa-sha256; t=1524542829; cv=pass; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=mHXdkrY/iivI9hJy6b4wGKMPrQnAkEHTUXhaytjoxaKOkJg5mcP9gWB6ibbks0B/ba sQ+pglYnyaeA2Timh0neuM4ZBZdFYwirag/Fl8TZ3xyeqLns87esW7xy2plQ1grYArbE QA3WXbMD0rNm74dei3S8YSUPlAG8RHfpcjer7Y4fIXBRm6zy20x2rjSlpVbgakan+whT j66P4B7aHSPZovjATDAQz3Anh2tHPHcyR1IJVTYoP3/oj4cp3LeDnC4SG1DpgO6PPU8D 6wXRf7OdulCWGharEhg6+pg85KIvFELD6UZt4CnhcRTkJDOA6uHM2ke0TFQm1JaUWM8I p10Q==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1524542828; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=Jm7IiC6avbu1N7PAfsdUEJnb5NBNl2l5MWd3r0CsDwlsjsndmaISQikccRjvMKV3Oy /sLedntnLJd97+wZJuFXq9qcbgmzJk6N+8zfLGqye356CQ3F8IWiO+NrVmqs+Mh1HrD5 F4x0N/eHgyCtlWdAkpAvaOIHWsakGaIKPon82N+AiZP97XoLXo8Y7K3wnuaJwg1wmBVv DMJIwjVJWJVaqJMX2IKYbh1n3wyYMUiL4S3wGzdUkBoE6+XgzHHgTkFtv2ap3TxIboSe 4+UnwCJQijahUKKILCEQbChzrx22/fpaJQwh5P2PSYDou48wBvyCKoq6tyPnOG+rR/yr smDg==
- Cc: "Berkeley Linux Users Group" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=20161025; h=sender:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:cc:subject:references :in-reply-to:mime-version:content-disposition:user-agent :x-original-sender:x-original-authentication-results:precedence :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-archive :list-subscribe:list-unsubscribe; bh=6SJwgl8k+Hvg5n7MHygAKxzPpsWD+tSDciXvMN4FngY=; b=HU+ci8ouKcKTK4Yx88Bo/otXf/K1M8d3NVIRmfusSbQkg95cnmsNNwJ0+/hRnf4V1K 88vo2GRFs8HJhqfdV62Ae4SIG7Bwjjsn4gl7PMRNaM1GCMszYPdMMUzZgUssAXIOTpu8 MPbBO5kGK6CGy65PLFZRQ5i96zZFkiPpL+WZCEqIRSQklS1k2ITIL7EC9NDVGprqOu00 utZVQJh2LPeV+iSWvTRrba+yhKe6a2oBRJilyAhOmGaO1WVj+TODzTkih4wb3JcgTEkY 1REGsHJsx51b3Z9tMMecGO4lfGBoiL3QHoHDDYBJZ540Pn2Xt5T1mj0Nv9EE07bop9Bk euXA==
- In-reply-to: <CAN3PQpF+mx19oPqek68h_QK2poc4hL_=20HR1DLsmgt2HK3VKw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylu>
- List-help: <https://groups.google.com/support/>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: <berkeleylug.googlegroups.com>
- List-post: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/post>, <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/subscribe>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:email@example.com>, <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/subscribe>
- Mailing-list: list firstname.lastname@example.org; contact email@example.com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAN3PQpF+mx19oPqek68h_QK2poc4hL_=20HR1DLsmgt2HK3VKw@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: email@example.com
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) H3 (4.2.1-RC1)
Well, good to hear from you, but wow, ... some useful - and interesting
Does help to update Subject: header as to be reasonably relevant.
E.g. you sent an email to the Berkeley Linux Users Group,
but with subject having to do with BALUG - which is the
Bay Area Linux Users Group - that's a totally different (Linux) User Group,
and mostly about a specific meeting of theirs. Folks might see a Subject
like that and ignore and not open the email if it's a topic not of interest
to them. Also, appears the email was sent before that particular meeting,
but arrived after it - and as the meeting date was also in the Subject,
folks might've been even more likely to ignore it, as something already in
So, okay, Lenovo Thinkpad ... it would be good to post to list the
relevant information, e.g. make (which you covered), but also model,
and hopefully also with some relevant specifications, e.g.
size of drive, total RAM, what CPU (that may also be determined from
the model - at least if the CPU hasn't been upgraded). I think also,
on Lenovo Thinkpads, like IBM Thinkpads before them, it's good to be as
specific as feasible on the model. E.g. I have a quite old IBM
IBM ThinkPad T40p TYPE 2373-G1U
It's commonly known as "T40p" - but that's actually a series of models,
with somewhat varying specifications, whereas the 2373-G1U is the specific
model that comes (pre-)configured with a specific set of options and
specifications. By carefully looking at the information on the computer,
typically near the serial number, there is generally some other identifiers
that give the "model" number - though some manufacturers may use slightly
different terms for that - but it's usually closely located to the serial
number and generally similarly marked, ... so on ye olde IBM ThinkPad,
it was (at least for the exact model I had) "TYPE 2373-G1U". Anyway, if
folks know the make/model(/specifications), folks can better
determine or even start to guestimate what distributions/configurations
could actually run on such hardware, to those that are likely to perform
reasonably and continue to do so and be supported for some fair time
into the future.
Also, as some(/many) folks will often point out, good to know the objectives.
E.g. what is one trying to achieve, what does one want to do with/on it.
Such information can well help folks hone in on what distribution(s) and
versions might be best suited for a particular use case scenario. Also
including information such as what the user(s) are already more/most
familiar with and how (not so?) easily they may be able to deal with
how much change from what they're used to, can also be relevant.
Anyway, the Berkeley Linux User Groups (BerkeleyLUG) may be most
conveniently located to you (at least if I'm guessing correctly on
where you reside). The Bay Area Linux Users Group (BALUG), however,
meets in San Francisco, and also generally doesn't have convenient (or even
necessarily any) access to AC power and/or networking - so that may not be
a convenient location nor a handy one for doing Linux installs (but might
be fine for picking up an ISO image - particularly if one has determined
in advance what's needed, and communicated the information in advance so
person(s) may have such image(s) on hand on suitable media at the meeting).
Of course can also generally likewise get ISO(s) at BerkeleyLUG meetings.
Anyway, by providing both hardware specifications, and use case information,
folks can much better determine what may be a good/best fit - without that
information, dear knows what's most appropriate, or would even work at all.
And, interestingly, your email took a *long* time to get to me - and I'm
presuming most (or all) others too. From what I see, that would also seem
to be a Google booboo - and not at all your fault - at least as far as
I can see.
Anyway, for some of the more nerdly folks, here's a relevant bit of that from
the original headers of your posting (at least as I received them):
Received: from mail-sor-f55.google.com (mail-sor-f55.google.com.
by mx.google.com with SMTPS id
(Google Transport Security);
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:50:51 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.31.150.196 with SMTP id y187mr3255957vkd.4.1524516650803;
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.12.175.20 with SMTP id i20ls236389qvc.0.gmail; Mon, 23 Apr
2018 13:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.12.181.134 with SMTP id g6mr544944qve.61.1524516650604;
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.55.78.73 with SMTP id c70msqkb;
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.28.197.2 with SMTP id v2mr930321wmf.25.1523901779420;
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-lf0-x234.google.com (mail-lf0-x234.google.com.
by gmr-mx.google.com with ESMTPS id
(version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: ilsa <email@example.com>
Subject: Re: BALUG: meeting TOMORROW!: Tu 2018-04-17; & other BALUG News
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:02:47 +0000
I'm still trying to figure out a way to do Linux for dummies
A couple of days ago I got a ThinkPad Lenovo and it's ready for a form of
Linux that an interested ordinary person could use so let's be in touch
I'm really glad that this happened that I have the ThinkPad and I can just
load it up and start using it without any problems it's a new to me used
computer and it seems just perfect so I'm hopeful that somebody in the
group will be interested in telling me where to come and what to do to get
this ThinkPad fueled up and sent on its wonderful Adventure
Thank you very much I'll look forward to seeing you soon
With much gratitude and respect
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 12:43 AM Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
BALUG: meeting TOMORROW!: Tu 2018-04-17; & other BALUG News
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BerkeleyLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.