Re: Printing as an example: has embrace and extend accomplished it's objectives?

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Well, I was inclined to say ... and still relevant, ...
> file good bug report(s).
>
> Rick addressed many of the relevant points, bug good bug reports,
> or even more generally, providing the relevant technical information
> about the issue to the appropriate "forum" or the like is quite useful.

/me bows.

I should elaborate briefly on a passage in my upthread post:

  You might, e.g., need a specific print filter set you haven't
  bothered to install, or you might be missing some maddening
  proprietary junk like an HPLIP proprietary plug-in.

Many people are unware that CUPS is a printing engine aka framework
that, as often packaged in Linux distributions, comes with a quite
limited set of 'filters' (aka 'drivers') for specific printer types.
So, in many cases, all you really need to do, to accomodate a
particularly problematic printer, is to install an optional Linux
software package furnishing the relevant driver set.

What Linux Foundation did to Grant Taylor's storied LinuxPrinting.org,
in turning it into the much-lesser Linux Foundation sub-site
'OpenPrinting', is IMO somewhere between regrettable and unspeakable,
_but_ the entries at OpenPrinting about recommended filters [/drivers]
for particular printer models remains indispensible -- IMO -- and ought
to be one's first stop.

'HPLIP', the filter (driver) set from Hewlett-Packard for its printers
and scanners, has an undeserved reputation as meritorious open source,
when in truth, HP have consigned to secret-sauce HPLIP 'plugin'
proprietary software the necessary code to run many of their printers
and scanners.  And those plugins are _not_ distributed inside the CUPS
packages of Linux distributions --- because they're proprietary crud.

Anyway, if a printer is usable under CUPS on any OS including Apple OS
X, then is usable under CUPS on Linux using the same techniques, because
CUPS is CUPS.  It's genuine open source under the APSL licence.

Anyway, if the OP is serious about getting substantive help, he should
finally get around to providing specifics.  Otherwise, he is just
venting rhetoric (e.g, this 'embrace and extend' bushwah), and that is a
waste of time, frankly.