Re: Printing as an example: has embrace and extend accomplished it's objectives?

I would like to apologize for wasting time, with  my unfocused post.  I have been frustrated by printing problems, and have gotten lost in a maze trying just to find a thread... in vain.  I started installing Arch Linux from scratch just to check whether my setup (Manjaro) is the problem.  I don't think it is.  My Manjaro system has become comfortable, with all necessary tools, like a well-worn pair of shoes, so it would take several days to just get back to that state, on Arch.

It looks like my post, which was, I fear, an unfocused diatribe, left the impression of a support request.

Here's my problem, in a nutshell: When I print many pages, more than, maybe 15, on my new(er) Epson printer, the job is interrupted, a few lines of fading text are printed, and t the job restarts automatically from the beginnng.  This printer defaults to Reverse page ordering, so it starts again on the last page.  This always happens, so, if I am not paying close attention, I was come back to see the output tray deep in pages, and the printer still working.  Over and over.  This problem could be hardware or software.  I have two or three theories:
  1. Memory.  Some kind of memory must be involved i printing a job in reverse order.  Perhaps memory for this purpose has been exhausted.   The Fax component has sufficient memory for 100 pages; the nature or amount of printer memory is unknown.  This theory may be supported by the fact that each time a document restarts, it is at a SIMILAR, but not identical place and page.
  2. Wifi glitches.  Perhaps the wifi burps, the job is interrupted, and falls of the deep end.
To test theory #1, in part, I intend to configure this printer to print in "normal" page order.  Apparently this has been problematic for some others, as I have seen some lengthy instructions on how to set the options.   Any of these?
  • using the gui doesn't show these kinds of options
  • using lpoptions, or lpadmn---which interesting do things differently
  • MAYBE editing the ppd file.  However, as it turns out there are multiple copies on the system, including one sequestered by CUPS.
  • Printing from the command line with options
This should be simple, right?  Specify the pages to be printed in "normal" (as opposed to "reverse") order.

I have attempted twice to post to Manjaro's forum.

I take the advice seriously, to do diligence when asking for advice.  I can often fix a problem, given time.  Ironically, some times the solution suggests itself to me after I have posted a help request!  Often.

Thank you for the kindness of responding to my post.   I don't suppose I have clarified much in this one.

Alan Davis

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 3:02 AM Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Well, I was inclined to say ... and still relevant, ...
> file good bug report(s).
>
> Rick addressed many of the relevant points, bug good bug reports,
> or even more generally, providing the relevant technical information
> about the issue to the appropriate "forum" or the like is quite useful.

/me bows.

I should elaborate briefly on a passage in my upthread post:

  You might, e.g., need a specific print filter set you haven't
  bothered to install, or you might be missing some maddening
  proprietary junk like an HPLIP proprietary plug-in.

Many people are unware that CUPS is a printing engine aka framework
that, as often packaged in Linux distributions, comes with a quite
limited set of 'filters' (aka 'drivers') for specific printer types.
So, in many cases, all you really need to do, to accomodate a
particularly problematic printer, is to install an optional Linux
software package furnishing the relevant driver set.

What Linux Foundation did to Grant Taylor's storied LinuxPrinting.org,
in turning it into the much-lesser Linux Foundation sub-site
'OpenPrinting', is IMO somewhere between regrettable and unspeakable,
_but_ the entries at OpenPrinting about recommended filters [/drivers]
for particular printer models remains indispensible -- IMO -- and ought
to be one's first stop.

'HPLIP', the filter (driver) set from Hewlett-Packard for its printers
and scanners, has an undeserved reputation as meritorious open source,
when in truth, HP have consigned to secret-sauce HPLIP 'plugin'
proprietary software the necessary code to run many of their printers
and scanners.  And those plugins are _not_ distributed inside the CUPS
packages of Linux distributions --- because they're proprietary crud.

Anyway, if a printer is usable under CUPS on any OS including Apple OS
X, then is usable under CUPS on Linux using the same techniques, because
CUPS is CUPS.  It's genuine open source under the APSL licence.

Anyway, if the OP is serious about getting substantive help, he should
finally get around to providing specifics.  Otherwise, he is just
venting rhetoric (e.g, this 'embrace and extend' bushwah), and that is a
waste of time, frankly.

 I consider that the Golden Rule requires that if I like a program I must share it with other people who like it.
              --- Richard Stallman

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours."
       ---Benjamin Franklin