[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: BerkeleyLUG site anti-spam enabled, comments & registration / sign-up opened up.
- To: BerkeleyLUG <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: BerkeleyLUG site anti-spam enabled, comments & registration / sign-up opened up.
- From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
- Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 22:10:04 -0700
- Arc-authentication-results: i=2; gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 184.108.40.206 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of email@example.com) smtp.mailfrom=Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 220.127.116.11 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org) smtp.mailfrom=Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu
- Arc-message-signature: i=2; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=list-unsubscribe:list-subscribe:list-archive:list-help:list-post :list-id:mailing-list:precedence:reply-to:user-agent :content-disposition:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:subject:to :from:date:message-id:sender:dkim-signature; bh=UVDwXrhAGXgOrgjqhO3tiiDA2pmHxdh5x1U9Zi24Kio=; b=DuMWeGsPckyEzxKZpXlHBEWWj6OgBHVvbuIkS2faOlmuHjRses7+Tz5dOryn2R0Y6h dro4zzEXlAlxdQTdqvz4tdkIh9sX5xha53Wx6o7UFTycKt1h+0tmV54huiap8iOTlnNo lp2E4qo+FgeHSskGoOejueqzePS/Ax4s+Hezx4kQ0MEjWgBX7hntsg3zFykNlQkDbhnD wEDFYpkC04UdMrKdw+3RdDkrvrwwNLBvmJarpYZGQGKgg2WtPum9kZrHeGcABO3vspne roy3psoZ2J5n9XfmVsl7KzTQBLhm1LSNi/wLFzihQTK0rOjn/SujDbADDycWrbFjqicw YQWw==
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=user-agent:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :mime-version:in-reply-to:references:subject:to:from:date:message-id; bh=LKi11vhZwOXfKWXpR8hrGpEleSUU8vI8PKPGpu3FBEE=; b=Ckn2Lh3FkuvuHVnmpWjTmhA7xJC3H82witzra7IPnQODKhWNATbteQvj9pvX6wEfj0 SqlPAbdhH0XytNXiyCbUUsik5T9SOdg+iuHLwQJZf0vr0yxqinOQ9PinOMQBYqLqFVdP k6tfLPlXi8L2AdOTbrTJ96QonlbtdeSwigo0EfJlA2VQqJJoPJ+DoVM3SKpk4+eD6MWB E13wXH7XfnSbRK3ta9lNSkUep4v9NY1yb/vFxC6Xgh9QE5YQwjebPf6rCDwL+RTCVe0e V8Ju84bTQmCxvgat5rU4rmyBDHwlKsUVv97lbZxH8kfm5ErWQVT84yNfVH5siX1keJBn AHIA==
- Arc-seal: i=2; a=rsa-sha256; t=1568265005; cv=pass; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=FjXU9leSEzIX5wfL9sl0J7TIh46LalHog6ZphOFi1LVzGw5sg2DJ6ixKO8Bd6KvSVd dNdb5Di8Us/srpr1tE+HXrmDpZo9oai6foBrWkYvZ4wHxn6akoX6G5YZFuLUNjX3fOQt 8cM3lYHBMKi37VxAMJ4hhr+r2btxbQjlMQ0F81xfpHA+BOSMGuUHtKqEECZoHeSxXPoJ aJ+6owN7wHZxZbP6gnq6W2JrBUHMxw774jsbJhc6zkttglekVi7amlQ81y2yCCZlLvFh 6ApvEOD4WSK5HGWdbZfir0QRDq8NOST+b0fA/D8QIifNQ0vErEQ9lrTvz3JdaHkx7Vj3 bmlw==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1568265004; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=g/kLE325xAVXL887hPMlecMFnapS0yDasEH5vTD8EvoXiZku0yXdiAwBOUcAufVTAe OclINDUkD8F0pOC8Lsci83iBjlg4iACXAXZBUGrc5ZjCRjdw3q0WK47Q6Hbsw4N9yJys eu1RmU+3VF6UNqYYzn9NnzU1wp6CPf2GJEGRCBtYb6+4A/gOhGcwbKnNasp5kaJnEqiQ Qn7BMTXUiKyPZAG/mq0SU8WREP6DLoquzVnqwlJtoiQfUjgtxjGGGC40rlUCaMr2bG+f W4ENahPvq9jOJYfazxdOCAmHvyrkQAP1kU9/12gefCgeV4rydYZBtaxBu9KnW5PhHScE kg3Q==
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=20161025; h=sender:message-id:date:from:to:subject:references:in-reply-to :mime-version:content-disposition:user-agent:x-original-sender :x-original-authentication-results:reply-to:precedence:mailing-list :list-id:list-post:list-help:list-archive:list-subscribe :list-unsubscribe; bh=UVDwXrhAGXgOrgjqhO3tiiDA2pmHxdh5x1U9Zi24Kio=; b=P2uhWVkLmJH7T1WRDsHpVp12EgEitxfNUXwC0B5bgSQvFqoHlyEAzxiR5eTYODezVC msVwkWnQEgX4sy26hpsMD7RMgaNtwVXKqKWeFI15t5Q2+Kfo8d7498nALNK7/r2OduPM oKUhIPT7gbwU9H9g68/8UWJLaH3beamzbkZ3HzkbXteJi0nThvTFgmKoiGt1KnWqrR2A 2h630HSeqWdqxdRXImPXwvYCiN8cKy160NyYBks4JpAaH7ro9Lan0b7DXy/v9xIlyqSf sMh8yLrfYIPCYDVsn0Ch6xeOKzZCK+xwxKqlyB8XpLCTfB8N3+faCUmsexj6weKi8fqO l1/A==
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-archive: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylu>
- List-help: <https://groups.google.com/support/>, <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: <berkeleylug.googlegroups.com>
- List-post: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/post>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/subscribe>, <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>, <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/subscribe>
- Mailing-list: list email@example.com; contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
- User-agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) H3 (4.2.1-RC1)
The anti-spam seems to work quite well enough - at least to stop
spam comments and such.
The only "issue" with opening up registration / sign-up
... we do now have lots of users - 112 - way up from when we opened
up the registration / sign-up, and looks like most of those are
from spambots and the like and not legitimate users.
Anyway, perhaps a general adjustment plan, perhaps roughly like:
o add some captcha or the like to raise the bar sufficiently on
registration / sign-up
o user hygiene - once the above is in place and seems to be working
well enough, ask legitimate users to take some action to reasonably
show they're not something from a spambot ... and after some reasonable
time to respond to such, those not having taken the requisite action -
remove those users ... at least applying that users created after we
recently opened up registration / sign-up.
Anyway, that's the general plan/idea ... at least I think so (and for
lack of a better?). Not an extreme priority - though sooner would be
better. Anyway, cleaning that up will get us better to set of
(legitimate) users on the site - then that + list gives us a better idea
of folks at least interested in following BerkeleyLUG (even if many may
mostly be quiet "lurkers" - or at least most of the time).
From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
Subject: BerkeleyLUG site anti-spam enabled, comments & registration
/ sign-up opened up.
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 18:35:37 -0700
So, ... I went ahead and enabled anti-spam (most notably for
comments) and enabled essentially "anyone" to comment,
and opened up the registration / sign-up.
Although the site gets a fair amount of traffic and ranks pretty well
with Search Engine Optimization (SEO), seems in earlier times it was
more "active" - not only with posts, but comments. Hopefully opening
that up more will breathe a bit more life/activity into it.
"We"'ll just have to keep a reasonable eye on spam (most notably
in comments and the like) ... I'm guessing that's what got the stuff
clamped down earlier. I'm hoping the anti-spam "plugin" is good enough
that it handles most all of that pretty well. We shall see.
I did also put an updated post on the main page ... likewise for where
the old stuff is hosted on WordPress.com (essentially all that content
was migrated) ... mostly to point folks to where it is now and the
"live" site (same URL as old was), ... and for the other URL,
left it "public", but disabled search engine indexing of it and
the like ... since that never was the "main" site anyway, and just
HTTP 301 redirected before anyway. Mostly just "cover the bases"
if anyone/anything still pokes around there - effectively leaving a
"pointer" behind - at least for now - and also if anyone/anything has
need/reason to compare the content and appearance details, etc. (there
are some minor appearance differences).
We've got a few folks that have Administrator access to the new
(on balug VM) hosting location, at least 2 of which are rather to
quite active in BerkeleyLUG. We also have additional persons/roles,
- roles being: Administrator, Editor, Author, Contributor, Subscriber.
From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
Subject: BerkeleyLUG site/WordPress migrated!
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 07:25:21 -0700
The BerkeleyLUG site:
has been migrated from WordPress.com hosting, to
being hosted on the BALUG host (virtual machine).
Things should mostly be as they were - differences should mostly be
cosmetic (and speed/availability - not a high availability host nor
hosting, nor high bandwidth).
The old site content may temporarily be accessible at:
but looks like that's presently still redirecting - so
can't (yet) see there to compare, etc.
If you have an account on the site, you should be able to use
the "lost password" functionality:
to get an emailed link to reset your password (passwords were not
Shorter term we'll probably leave it relatively locked down,
most notably only those with accounts can comment or post or more.
We'll probably start loosening that up more (within reason)
after things are a bit more settled in and tested out (and we
activate some anti-spam bits).
And, ... what did the migration process look like?
There's a pretty good outline of it here:
From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
Subject: BerkeleyLUG site/WordPress migration
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 06:54:07 -0700
So, ... not quite done yet 8-O ... I was theoretically to be
done/completed by 2019-08-27T09:53:17Z
But getting fairly close :-)
In "worst case" scenario, I could always migrate/"promote"
what I've got so far.
One may "preview" it here (not the permanent URL, and that (sub-)domain
will get removed in the relatively near future):
Some of the more notably various remaining issues:
The import causes everything to be attributed to (authored by) one user,
... well, at least pages, looks like comments may have their proper
original attributions. Theoretically on import, one should be able
to (re)map users from import to users on site being imported too,
but I don't seem to have gotten that to work or work fully.
Comments aren't displaying who posted the comment.
Missing the tux logo being displayed on page headers.
I need to properly configure email sends (it semi-works
at present, but may very legitimately get rejected by mail
servers that are persnickety about spam and proper sending best
"per earlier communcations, intending to migrate of the WordPress.com
hosted by 2019-08-27T09:53:17Z (that would be 6 months after
Michael Paoli was notified of having been granted admin access for the
BerkeleyLUG site on its WordPress.com hosting)."
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BerkeleyLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeleylug/20190911221004.11961o2kox7xbvwk%40webmail.rawbw.com.